Monday, July 19, 2010

The Title of this Blog

The title of this blog is based on my growing ideas about and training in psychoanalytic group theory in my classroom. I've been in training and supervision for the last two years through the Center for Group Studies, an organization that trains mental health and other professionals in the theory and application of Modern Analysis in groups. I'm also a high school science teacher. I sought out group training after a few years in the classroom when it became clear to me that my values around creating a healing, nurturing, transformative classroom did not square with my skill set. As my career developed in parallel with my sister's, I saw that she, a trained social worker and psychotherapist, had some really valuable insights and ideas about students. I didn't yet know how to teach the "whole child" but I really wanted to.

This blog is a place for me to offer my ideas and share my experience. I am giving life here to the idea that there's a wealth of literature and multiple worlds of thought outside of the education sphere that apply directly to our classrooms. In order to access these parallel universes - places where people are helping others to become the best possible versions of themselves - we have to translate and decode often off-putting jargon.

No comments:

Post a Comment